Obviously there are hundreds of questions you need to ask a client during a content strategy project. But, I think this list encompasses the ones you need to know before you even start.
1. Can you describe your current content creation process?
2. What process do you use to create content?
3. How are goals about content and revenue communicated to staff?
4. Do you have a direct formula for how content creation is linked to revenue?
5. How often do you look at user analytics? Do you distribute to staff?
6. What type of CMS do you use? Can you describe how the content staff interfaces and uses the CMS?
7. Do you have any of the following?
- Editorial Guidelines
- Editorial Calendar
- Style Guide
- SEO Guidelines
- Copy Decks or Templates
8. Does your social media strategy directly relate to your content creation process?
9. Do you have a plan or guideline for how you manage outdated content?
10. DON’T FORGET THIS ONE: Can you give me three measurable goals you would like to achieve at the end of this project?
How about you? What do you think you need to ask clients before starting a project?